Burglaries are a common type of crime that occurs more often than many people realize. The latest burglary statistics reveal that while most people take adequate measures to protect their homes, many underestimate the safety requirements.
How common are home invasions? When do most of these types of crimes take place? In the following article, bail experts for burglary crimes in Connecticut uncover interesting facts and statistics about burglaries. Read on!
What are the most important statistics concerning burglaries?
There’s no doubt that burglary is a serious problem in the United States. But just how big of a problem is it? According to stats, in 2018 alone, there were an estimated 1,730,000 burglaries nationwide. That means there was a burglary every 17 seconds. And unfortunately, the burglary rate has been on the rise in recent years. Here are six facts and statistics about burglaries that may surprise you:
1. Number of burglaries
According to the FBI, there were an estimated 2,100,000 burglaries in the United States in 2021. This figure represents a slight decrease from the 2,150,000 reported in 2020. The majority of these burglaries (74.3%) involved forcible entry, while 23.5% were classified as unlawful entry without force. The remaining 2.2% were attempts or incidents where the method of entry was unknown.
2. Type of properties
Burglaries are a type of property crime that can happen to both commercial and residential properties. In the United States, the FBI estimated that there were about 2,103,787 burglaries in 2018. Of these burglaries, approximately 73.4% were committed against residences while the remaining 26.6% were against commercial businesses.
3. Type and value of stolen property
In terms of the type of property stolen, electronics are typically the most valuable items taken in a burglary. Other items commonly stolen in burglaries include cash, jewelry, and firearms.
The value of the property stolen also varies depending on the location of the burglary. In general, burglaries in urban areas result in higher losses than those in rural areas. This is because homes and businesses in urban areas tend to have more valuable property than those in rural areas.
4. Who commits the crime?
Most burglaries are committed by someone known to the victim. This is often someone who has had access to the home before, such as a friend, family member, or neighbor. In many cases, the burglar will simply walk in through an unlocked door or window.
Burglars usually target homes that are unoccupied or where they can gain easy access. They will typically avoid homes that appear to be occupied or well-protected.
5. Time when burglaries occur
The vast majority of burglaries occur during the daytime when people are away at work or school. The few that happen at night usually involve forced entry, as thieves know that homeowners are typically asleep and won’t be able to stop them. The best way to protect your home from burglary is to have a security system in place, as well as to keep your doors and windows locked at all times. If you see anything suspicious happening in your neighborhood, make sure to report it to the police immediately.
6. The arrest rate
According to statistics, approximately 20% of burglaries are solved by law enforcement. This means that for every 100 break-ins, only 20 will result in an arrest. The odds of being arrested for burglary are even lower if the crime is not reported to police. Of the estimated 2 million burglaries that occur each year in the United States, only about 30% are reported to authorities.